Fortunately, there are things you can do to help.
* If the child is being harmed, get the store manager to assist the parent or call the police.
* Divert the parents attention from the child.
* Strike up a conversation with the parent.
Say things like: “He seems to be trying your patience.” or “It looks like you’ve both had a long day.”
* Sympathize with the parent.
* DO NOT give dirty looks or make snide comments as these may only make matters worse.
* Offer assistance. Ask if there is something you can do to help, or watch the child so the parent can take a break.
* Praise the child and the parent at the first opportunity.